History of Catholic Education in Tiffin, OH
Catholic Education in Tiffin, OH dates back to the early to mid-nineteenth century, when, in 1847, St. Joseph School was started as a one-room log cabin with 20 students in it’s present location. A few years later the first St. Mary School started in 1851 where Calvert High School currently stands as a one-room log cabin school as well. In 1858, St. Joseph School expanded to be a four-room school. In 1856, St. Mary’s moved their church to it’s present location. After a fire burned down the original St. Mary’s school building, they purchased an old public school in 1864. It was located where the main Tiffin University classroom building stands currently.
It was in 1862 that the Ursaline Sisters arrived from Germany. They took over the education at both schools and began the Ursaline Academy for High School girls where the field next to Calvert High School is currently.
Around 1923, at the request of the Bishop Samuel Alphonsus Stritch, boys were admitted into the High School. It was at this time that the school took the name of Calvert Catholic High School.The first principal of Tiffin Catholic High School was Rev. Anthony J. Gallagher, it was not until the 1925-1926 school year that the name Calvert was given to the school. This name comes from the Cecil Calvert Family of Baltimore, Maryland who is known for promoting religious tolerance in the colony, even while the Maryland colony was officially Catholic.
THE CALVERT SHIELD
The Calvert Catholic High School shield was designed December, 1926, as the official seal of the school. On April 2012 the Calvert Catholic shield was designated the official seal of Calvert Catholic Schools, a PK-12 educational institution.
The shield is divided into four quarters. Appearing in the first quarter of the dexter side is the Spanish tower. Emblematic of the Diocese of Toledo. Thus giving the location of the school. In the second quarter is placed the crown of the Blessed Virgin Mary, signifying that the schools is placed under her special patronage. Calvert Catholic Schools are symbolized on the sinister side of the shield using the coat of arms of the Cecil Calvert Family.
Above the escutcheon is the crest combining those factors which constitute not only the purpose, but the glory of all true Catholic education. The student’s lamp signifies learning, the beads represent piety, while the fullness of both is typified by the cross.
The complete interpretation of the shield is: Calvert Catholic Schools are in the Diocese of Toledo, under the patronage of the Blessed Virgin Mary and dedicated to the perpetuation of the highest ideals of Catholic education.